Downloadable NCOC Statement of Beliefs pdf
We believe in one God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- We believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of all things visible and invisible(Genesis 1:1; Hebrews 11:3/Matthew 5:16,45; 6:1,4,8,9/James 1:17/John 1:1; 14:9 / Genesis 1:2/ John 4:24; 14:16-20; 2 Peter 1:21)
- We believe in Jesus Christ, God’s one and only Son, my one and only Savior(John 1:14; 1 John 4:9 / John 3:16; 2 Peter 3:18)Who was present at creation, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, both fully human and fully divine; Who lived a sinless life; Who suffered and was crucified as an atonement for sin; Who rose again bodily from the dead on the third day; Who ascended into Heaven; and Who will return in victory to rule forever. (John 20:24-29/Romans 5;15-17/Hebrews 4:15/Colossians 2:9/Luke 1:26-38/Luke 22:47-24:53/1 Corinthians 15:3-8/Acts 1:1-9; Colossians 3:1/Revelation 1:7,8;11:15)
- We believe in the Holy Spirit: Who convicts of sin; Who indwells every Christian; Who helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us in prayer; and Who empowers us to a fruitful Christian life(John 16:5-15; Acts 1:7-8; Romans 8:26-27)
We believe in the Bible—God’s Holy Word, Scripture.
- We believe God inspired the autographs (original writings) of the Scripture and those autographs were consequently without error(Mark 12:36; John 14:26; 16:12-15; Acts 1:16; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Timothy 3:14-16; 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- We believe that the Bible is the final authority for all matters of faith, truth, morality, and Christian living(Isaiah 40:8; Matthew 5:18; 24:35; Romans 15:4; Hebrews 4:12)
- We believe the Bible teaches that God is the Creator and Sustainer of human life; that God creates each person in His image; and that life is therefore sacred, from conception to natural death. We believe that God creates each person as male or female; that these two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the "image of God" in humankind; and that each person's biological gender is an intrinsic, immutable aspect of his or her nature and identity.(Genesis 2:23-25/Exodus 20:14-17, 22:19/Leviticus 18:1-20, 22-23; 20:11-21/Matthew 19:9; Romans 1:18-31/1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 15-20/1 Timothy 1:8-11; Jude 7).
We believe in the Gospel - the Good News of Salvation.
- That man, created by God, willfully sinned against God and is consequently lost and without hope apart from Jesus Christ.(Acts 4:12/Romans 3:23/I John 1:7)
- That salvation (the forgiveness of sins) comes by grace through the blood of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 26:28Romans 5:8-11/Ephesians 2:8-9/I Peter 1:18-19)
- While not necessarily all inclusive, we believe our response to God’s gracious offer by putting faith in Christ, repenting of personal sin, confessing Christ as Lord, and that the Bible commands every believer in Christ to be baptized by immersion for the forgiveness of sins and to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(Luke 24:45-47/Acts 2:38/Romans 6:1-7; 10:9/2 Peter 3:9/ Colossians 2:12/Galatians 3:27)
- That those who have received salvation through obedient faith in Jesus Christ are sent into the world to proclaim the gospel and to love and serve the world just as Jesus Himself did.(2 Corinthians 5:11-21/Matthew 28:18-20;/Ephesians 2:10)
- That death seals the eternal destiny of each person. The saved will inherit eternal life; the unsaved, eternal separation from God(Romans 8:10-11/Daniel 12:2/John 6:47)
We believe in the Church of Jesus Christ, founded on the Day of Pentecost, consisting of all Christians everywhere, and organized into local assemblies, called churches.
- We believe the Bible teaches that every Christian should be an active member of a local church.(Hebrews 10:24-25)
- We believe that the Elders of the church are the overseers of its affairs and the shepherds of its members; that they are the final interpretive authority of the Bible's meaning and application for the church; and that they are responsible for the oversight, instruction, edification, discipline, and restoration of church members.(Matthew 18:15-17; Acts 20:28; I Timothy 3:1-7; I Peter 5:1-4; I Corinthians 5:11-13)
- We Believe that the Bible instructs church members to:
- Meet together regularly for fellowship, worship, teaching, and the Lord's Supper.(Acts 2:42-47)
- Use our God-given abilities and spiritual gifts to serve one another.(Romans 12:3-8/I Corinthians 12:12-3)
- Love one another, bear with one another, accept one another, and forgive one another. (1 Peter 4:8/Romans 14-15)
- Seek unity, agreement, and peace with one another. (Matthew 5:23-24)
- Encourage and build up one another.(Ephesians 4:29/Hebrews 3:13)
- Bear one another's burdens and pray for one another.(Galatians 6:1-2/James 5:16)
- Spur one another to love and good deeds.(Hebrews 10:24)
- Submit to the authority of the elders of the church.(Acts 20:28/1 Timothy 3,5:17, 1 Peter 5:1-4/Hebrews 13:17)
- Support the church financially.(1 Corinthians 16:1-4/2 Corinthians 8-9)
- Pursue personal holiness and obedience to God's Word.(1 Peter 1:15/James 1:22-24)
- Strive together to fulfill the Great Commission.(Matthew 28:18-20; Philippians 2:2)